Sunday 22 February 2009

Chips Crazy

Lately I’ve become obsessed with chips. In the UK the word “chips” refers to what we know as “French fries” in America, and really, to the rest of the world. Have you ever read a menu in a restaurant in any other part of the world that was translated into English only to find the word "chips" instead of "fries". I don't think so.

Last week I was at the grocery store and it took me a solid ten minutes to figure out which bag of chips to buy. I stealthily walked up and down the frozen chips section, back and forth, until almost panicking.

Which chips should I buy for my family? Chunky chips, thick chips, crinkle chips, rustic chips with or without the skins, curly chips, spiced curly chips, chips cut into wedges (not sure of their technical name), smiley face chips, waffle chips and finally, plain ole, regular chips (yes, they do exist).

The one thing I’ll never understand is vinegar with chips. How in God’s name did that combination evolve? I can live with the Belgian way of eating mayo and chips (quite yummy in fact) but I don’t think I’ll ever acquire a taste for vinegar and chips. YUCK!

Chips can be served with anything in this country; fish, burgers, steak, or alone as a meal in itself.  My daughter was even served chips with her lasagne at school recently.

The chip market in the UK is worth £1.2 billion. That means that £1 out of every £100 is spent in a fish & chips shop.

There are even a websites dedicated to the fanatical love of chips. This country is chips crazy!!

No comments: