Saturday 30 August 2008

Girl Guffs in Royal Mail Post Office

We finally make it to the post office this afternoon only to find the local Royal Mail Post Office in our town is in the back of a seedy convenience store. It was equipped with two teller windows and  a counter that could serve two more customers. Normally, in the United States, the postal people are VERY efficient and friendly.  Not only did we wait in a line that wound around the left side of the store, blocking customers from retrieving dairy products from that side, we waited at least fifteen minutes. During fourteen of those fifteen minutes, my adorable and loving daughter hung on me as if her life depended on it.  The entire wait turned into a game where i would snap at her and tell her to get her 90lbs off of me, where she would respond by whining, strategically waiting 30 seconds AND than leaning her 90lbs on me once again. 
I say this only occurred for fourteen minutes b/c she was kind enough to walk away for what amounted to about, one minute, only to return with a horrible, rotten stink. It took me about one minute to notice this stink. What I did notice first was the woman in front of me side shuffling away from us, very slowly and cordially so we wouldn't notice. 
Than I turned and looked behind me and noticed a very big, new space between the person behind me and myself. 
"Did this little person that stinks more than a skunk really come out of me?" I thought, half embarassed and half livid that she didn't stand near the candy longer rather than stinking up this horrible line where peoples nerves were short anyway due to the wait.

No comments: