Saturday 4 October 2008

American vs. British

Below I have listed the many British terms that I come across almost daily. Next to them, in bold, their American translations.*

BRITISH American
hoover (Did you hoover the house today?)-vacuum (Did you vacuum the house today?)
PMT (pre-menstrual tension) -PMS (pre-menstrual syndrome)
top up (I need to top-up my drink)-refill (I need a drink refill)
sette-couch
you alright?-how are you?
bollocks-shit or the f-bomb
bloody hell- bloody hell
pants-underwear
trousers-pants
buggy/pram- stroller
dear- expensive
dinner- lunch
lu-bathroom
nappies-diapers



*This is a work in progress


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read so many books by British authors that I finally got an American/British dictionary.

I always forget that "pants" has a different meaning in British and then am nonplussed if the British listener starts to smile or chuckle.

jenny warren said...

It's amazing that there are so many differences. I shouldn't be surprised though. As a language person If I compare Spanish from Spain and Spanish from Peru, they are very different.