Friday 17 October 2008

Health Care is a NIGHTMARE

The National Healthcare System in this country, termed "NHS" is a nightmare. Before I begin my rant if you are British, and have been subjected to this archaic, backward system you should probably either: 1) stop reading this or 2)stop reading this, seriously.

Monday morning I called the "surgery" (that's what doctor's offices are called here) to make an appointment. They couldn't get me in until Wednesday morning. Fine. Not unheard of to wait two days to see the doctor.

A very simple procedure, one would think, confirmation of pregnancy, turned into a HUGE, two-day nightmare.

Wednesday morning at 8:45am I check into reception and wait for the doctor. There are several doctors at this surgery. A short, dark haired woman who looked like she just got out of university (clue number one) came through the double doors, into the waiting room and said "Theresa Warren". She barely said hello nor introduced herself when I stood up and walked toward her (clue number two).

I followed this young, emotionless doctor all the way down the hallway to the last office on the right. 
"Hmm. not a good sign." I thought to myself. Why is her office the last one in the hallway? Fifteen minutes later it became quite clear.

Dr. young-face asked me what I came in for and I explained to her that I had taken two pregnancy tests which were positive and was here for confirmation. I was also weaning myself off of my anti-depressants and now that I'm pregnant wanted some guidance.

"Before we discuss getting off the drugs let's confirm the pregnancy" she said. 
She than handed me a little, clear jar and sent me to the lu (bathroom).

Upon exiting the lu and walking all the way down the hallway back to Dr. What's-Her-Face's  office I hand her the jar.

Dr. no name stands at the sink, with her back to me, for what seems like an eternity, dipping that silly little stick into the jar containing my urine.

I sit and wait. And wait. And wait. Silence.

She breaks the silence with, "It's showing that you are negative". 
My heart starts pounding uncontrollably. 
"What?" I respond, confused. "Are you sure?"

"This test we use here is not 100% but we depend on it for results." 

Let's examine this statement: "this test is not 100%." So...WHY ARE YOU USING IT HERE?
"but we depend on it". OK. But why not use a test that is accurate? Correct me if I'm wrong but usually us common folk seek the help of doctors and depend on the tools they use to diagnose our symptoms. So the point of using a test that isn't always accurate is for I'm sorry, what purpose? Or perhaps Dr. No Name is not reading the test correctly?

"Can you do a blood test, like they do in the states?" I ask, almost pleading, at this point desperate.

"We don't do those here. I can give you a jar though and you can fill it in the morning when you wake. That may be more accurate. Bring it in and i'll send it to a lab and we should have the results by the end of the day."

"Ok" was my response but i was really thinking, "Where the hell am I? This is supposed to be a first world country?"

"I'm sorry what was your name?" I asked as I was leaving.

"Dr. Slim" she said with the same emotionless tone she had been using the entire time I was in the office, despite the fact that she could see I was VERY upset and in tears.

Feeling VERY annoyed, frustrated and wishing I never moved here I left the surgery, in tears, and called my husband.

After our conversation I walked down to the pharmacy and bought another digital pregnancy test, which of course said "positive" when I tested myself.

The next morning I bring in my jar and tell the receptionist, "This is for Dr. Slim".
"Dr. Slim is not in today" the receptionist says. "But I can send this to the lab. Is it for an infection?"

"WHAT???" I snapped. 
"No it's a pregnancy test and Dr. Slim told me to bring it in, and ask for her this morning."
On the verge of tears I demanded to see another doctor. The receptionist tells me there are no appointments available today. I reached for the ziploc bag my jar of urine was in, this time in tears, so i could haul ass out of this hell that is called a "surgery".

"Wait a minute" the receptionist calmly said. At this point we are playing tug-o-war with my urine.
"No. Give me my urine I"m leaving" I somehow managed to say through tears.
"You can see the nurse practitioner at 9:30".
"Ok" I sobbed. "I'll be back in 30 mins".

I waited until I actually exited the building before breaking down uncontrollably and calling my husband, who of course left work and came right over.

After i regained control I 1) cursed the heatlhcare system in this country and 2) cursed Dr. Slim-to-none for her lack of professionalism (in that order).

The Nurse practitioner was much more experienced and much more enjoyable to deal with. She showed me the stick after dipping it into the jar, and said it was positive but the second line was very faint, which was what probably caused Dr. Slim-to-none's confusion.

My husband and I were of course overwhelmed with joy by the news! (even though we knew but now we really know)

One scary, disturbing thought occurred to me though: If I had to go through all of this just to find out i was pregnant, what am I actually going to have to do to deliver this baby??

Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But the big news is: BABY ON THE WAY!!! Congrats!

jenny warren said...

thanks!

Jen said...

"No. Give me my urine I'm leaving" is possibly the funniest sentence I have ever read! Congratulations from yet another Jen (and I found you from a link on jenontheedge).

As someone who's had two babies on the NHS, feel free to pick my brains.