Thursday 2 October 2008

The Dilema of Staying Home

 What is the protocol for getting ready for the day as a stay at home mom, (I prefer the term "house manager" but HATE the term "homemaker")? 
My dilemna is this: if I know I'm going to the gym late morning, do I shower when I wake at 7am, get dressed and put make up at that time? OR, do I throw anything on, brush my teeth and wait to shower until after the gym, which is generally anywhere between noon and 1pm?
Keep in mind, every morning at 8 I must walk my little one to the bus stop, where all of the other moms seem to be well put groomed. My  neighbor always looks put togehter when I see her around 8:45 getting into the car with her boys every morning.
Am I embarrassing myself (and my daughter) but walking out of the house every morning looking like I just got hit by a truck? Am I putting the homemaker lifestyle to shame by not taking more care in my appearance?
If I were to shower at 7am AND after my workout, wouldn't that technically be a waste of water and bad for the environment? And if I put make up on at 7am, than sweat at the gym at 11, wouldn't my pores be clogged, thereby risking a greater chance of a break out? It's also not good for your skin to wash it three times per day (i'm talking face here). 
Who would have thought my biggest concern would be when to shower!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry too much about the other mothers. Just do what works for you.

For the record, I throw on workout clothes and a hat every morning, walk my children to school (thereby being seen by lots of parents along the way), and then exercise after that. I don't care what I look like or what the others think. By lowering everyone's expectations so much, it's easy for me to WOW them on occasion.

jenny warren said...

I like the way you think Jen!