Wednesday 24 September 2008

Crazytown or Helston?

This morning when I walked to our little town  with my recycled bag to do some shopping I noticed something strange; everybody and their mother was talking about the weather! I kid you not I passed at least FIVE separate conversations about the weather, not including the conversation that a customer in the produce store struck up with the clerk regarding the weather.
This has to be my least favorite topic of conversation.
Than something funny happened; I sadly realized that regardless of where I have lived over the course of my somewhat short life (33 is still young, right?) "the weather" has always been the main topic of conversation. From America to the Middle East and now in Europe, the weather dominates all talk, big or small.
I'm sorry but do we not have anything else more interesting to talk about? Didn't Gordon what's-his-face, the prime minister of this little island, make some sort of epic speech yesterday? Why was this not the topic of conversation instead of the current temperature? Isn't there a war going on? Doesn't anybody want to talk about that instead of the relative humidity?
I have still yet to figure this weather bantering phenomena out.  Perhaps I should launch an investigation?
As I was leaving town (with my recycled bag full of goodies) I passed two old gentlemen standing in front of a shop window, one of whom was waving his cane around quite crazily. As I picked up my gait to pass them quickly the maniacal one with the cane pointed it at me and spit some maniacal phrase out of his mouth that I could not understand. Hesitatingly, I slowed down, turned my head, and kept walking slowly away from him, "excuse me?" 
"What is that?" he demanded while pointing his cane at the shop window. Behind the window was a vase with some...sticks in them? 
"Those are sticks" I replied. That's when I fled the scene and headed straight for home. 
I couldn't help but think, "is this Crazytown or Helston?"

No comments: