Friday 5 September 2008

Naked in the Locker Room

After my spinning workout (I finally forced myself to go) I'm in the locker room trying to unchain myself from the key on the plastic holder that doubles as a bracelet so you can wear it around your wrist during your workout and I hear, "So how was that compared to the states?" 
Even though I hear this statement and it registers, I have no idea it's directed at me. My attention is fixated on unchaining myself so I can go home and eat lunch. 
"Hello?" (well it was more like "Hullo")
As I looked up, I noticed that the two women who were directly across from me during the class, and who graciously  made eye contact and smiled, were directing this question at me. I also noticed their big, brown nipples and their boobs flapping around as they dried themselves with their towels (along with other parts of their body which shall not be named here). 
Ok hello. Although I was born in America and lived there most of my life, I consider myself quite worldly, open minded, liberal and well...CLOTHED. I am by no means uptight. However, I must draw the line. If I don't know you (hell, even if I do know you) I find it very challenging, to say the least, to make polite conversation while you are rubbing your boobs with lotion and flashing your beaver in my face.
I remember the last time I was confronted with this phenomena; Prague, 1997. One morning I let my co-workers convince me to get up at the crack of dawn (not an easy feat for an around the clock partier, i might add) and go to the gym with them. As we all scrambled to the showers after the class, I realized I was the only one scrambling with my towel. The rest had their goodies shamelessly out as they nonchalantly chatted. 
At that point in my life ( I was 22 at the time) it became blatantly clear to me why my mother always, ALWAYS walked around shamelessly naked after a shower.  She is from Europe. And apparently, that's what europeans do.
It's not that I'm ashamed of my body. Well maybe a just a little. But that's not the point. I don't know if I could ever reach that comfort level. The level where I can comfortably walk around a locker room in front of other women stark naked while chatting about the weather.

No comments: