Wednesday 24 September 2008

Life With My Sister Madonna-review

I chose to read this book because of my admiration/obsession (it's a fine line) with one of the most successful and wealthiest women in the world. This does not mean I'm a big fan though and after reading this book I can safely say that I am not. However, I still admire her. What better way to gain insight into this diva than via her brother? Yes, biographies have been written on Madonna before but none by her sibling that grew up with her and could offer insight and stories that no other author could.

This book is really about Christopher Ciccone, Madonna's younger brother, and his struggle to make himself who he is. His writing is choppy and there are no smooth transitions from one thought to the next, which I found a bit annoying (hence, he has a co-author who helped him put his thoughts onto paper). A writer he is not, but a complainer he is.

He spends most of the book outlining the many, many ways in which his sister screwed and manipulated him through the years yet he ALWAYS went back to her whenever she snapped her fingers. This became boring and 1/4 into the book the ending wasn't difficult to foresee. As soon as he mentioned his feeling towards Guy, I felt I had already read the ending.

Christopher's whining became tiresome and yes, we get it: YOU ARE LIVING IN MADONNA'S SHADOW. A point I feel IMPOSSIBLE to avoid as her sibling who chose to live in the same world she does. Get over it. Or do something about it, but quit BITCHING about it already!

That being said I still enjoyed reading (perhaps devoured is a better word) and continue to admire one of the most successful women of all time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jen,
Madonna is my idol. Thats why I refused to read her bitter whiny brother's book.
Tara C